Thursday, May 9, 2013

"Hi, TCU!" From England

Corrinne “Rene” M. Powell ‘63 mailed a letter to us from Cheltenham, United Kingdom, with a photo of her friend's new car and license plate. This is not a vanity plate, just an amazingly random string of letters. Well, not random to us, or Powell. 

She writes:

"I remember, some time ago, a feature on TCU-related license plates. I thought that the story of this one might amuse you.


"I got my degree from TCU on 29 May 1963. I married an Englishman in 1966 and moved to England in 1969.

"We live in a 17th century cottage in a small village (population nearly 300!) in the Cotswolds.

"Imagine my surprise when a neighbor brought her new car to show me. When I saw the license plate, I fell about laughing and went for my camera.

"We both have husbands whose hobby is vintage cars – 1930-ish. People often take pictures of those cars when we are “out and about.” She was completely puzzled as to why I would want a picture of a modern car license plate.

"Obviously, she had never heard of TCU. Oxford and Cambridge, yes, but TCU? No. . .

"So, here’s to you, TCU. Hi!!! From England!"


Read more TCU People stories at The TCU Magazine. 

Are you a fan of The TCU Magazine on Facebook? Please "like" us to stay current on TCU photo galleries, story links, trivia, nostalgia and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment