Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Thanks for a great TCU education


Dr. Robin Amonker '68, received an Award of Appreciation from the Missouri State University Alumni Association for his many years of work as a professor  of sociology at Missouri State.

Click here to read  the story in the Missouri State alumni magazine about his recognition: The photo above is from the story.

When Amonker wrote to The TCU Magazine to share this news, he expressed his appreciation for the early teaching he received at TCU:

"I arrived in Fort Worth, Texas from Goa, India on January 30, 1964 with an undergraduate degree from Bombay University. I received my Master's of Education Degree in 1966 with sociology as an area of concentration. After participating in Dr. Robert Talbert's research methodology and population analysis classes, I became increasingly interested in social research and demography. As a result of his obvious dedication to his profession, I changed my major to sociology. I received a Master of Arts degree in sociology in 1968.

"By far the greatest thing TCU gave me was a sound education and the knowledge and skills of sociology. More than simply opportunities to learn the concepts and the practices of sociology, classes were open forums for discussion of human society and social issues. The academic environment during my years at TCU was lively, particularly for the sociology group. There was a high degree of idealism and a sense of purpose in life. 

"I consider myself fortunate in having some of the most outstanding teachers at TCU. It was a joy and a privilege to listen to and be instructed by Professors like Dr. Robert Talbert (my advisor), Dr. Austin Porterfield, and Dr. Jerry Michel. These professors were among few persons who have molded my life and character by instilling in me the values I cherish. More importantly, these professors instilled in me the confidence and desire to pursue a degree at a higher educational level and constantly encouraged me to use my intelligence and experience to further develop my skills as a social demographer.

"I am very grateful for the time and energy these professors devoted to me inside and outside the classroom. TCU gave me an excellent education which I have used for the last forty-five years as a professor of sociology at Missouri State University. Teachers like Talbert, Porterfield and Michel are the foundation of that education." 

Read more TCU People stories at The TCU Magazine. 

Are you a fan of The TCU Magazine on Facebook? Please "like" us to stay current on TCU photo galleries, story links, trivia, nostalgia and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment